In this guide see how to download and install macOS Sierra on Windows devices by using VMware virtual machine software. This guide is for everyone who wish to enjoy MAC experience on a Windows device for a change and we are going to explain the process in simplest possible steps so that anyone can perform the procedure on desktop PC or laptop running Windows 10/7/8/8.1.
VMware software is designed to help PC users install two operating systems on a single computer without slowing down the performance levels. VMware is a virtualization software package that makes it possible to run unsupported operating systems. macOS Sierra 10.12 is the latest MAC OS and you know that it’s not supported on devices designed to run Windows operating system. But, VMware makes it possible to download and install macOS Sierra on your Windows desktop PC or laptop alongside the main Windows OS.
Opting to install Mac OS on a Windows device could be based on your personal reason. Some may want to install macOS Sierra on Windows because one of their favorite program in on Mac only, others would like to have latest macOS Sierra because you are an iOS or mac OS app developer but find working on a Windows device rather convenient using XCode tool, or it could be any other reason. Whatever the case, you can easily install macOS Sierra on a Windows device using VMWare.
Also Read: Install macOS Sierra Hackintosh on PC
See a step-by-step guide below to learn how to download and install macOS Sierra 10.21 on VMWare on Windows PC.
How to Install macOS Sierra on VMWare on Windows Devices
Step 1 – First of all you need to download the following files:
- macOS Sierra Image File: Mirror Link 1 | Mirror Link 2 | Mirror Link 3
- macOS Sierra System Files & Tools: Download Link
Note: If you get the download limit exceeded error message, fix it by copying the file into your own Google Drive or any other cloud storage account, right-click on the file and select ‘Make a copy’. Then, select ‘My Drive’ from the menu on the left. Once done, download the file from your drive account.
Step 2 – Download VMware Workstation (WMware Player) and install it. Trial version should be enough to install macOS Sierra on Windows without having to purchase the software. You can pay for the full version if you think you will need the tool in future.
Step 3 – Now, extract the macOS Sierra .rar file and move it to a folder. For that, place the extracted file in a new folder and then right click on the .rar file and select Extract Here from the context menu.
Step 4 – Unzip the Patch Tool file which you downloaded in the step-1 above and go to the folder where it is located. After that, right-click on win-install.cmd file and select ‘Run as administrator’. Before performing this step make sure VMware is properly installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Next, create a new virtual machine for macOS Sierra. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch VMware Player/Workstation (download it from the link above if you don’t have it on your computer) and select ‘Create new virtual machine’.
- Now, select ‘I will install the operating system later’.
- Then, select Apple Mac OS X followed by the version OS X 10.12 as ‘Guest operating system’.
- After that, enter a name for the virtual machine and then enter the Disk Capacity, and enter the size that is suggested by VMware and then select ‘Store virtual disk as a single file’.
Step 6 – Next step is to edit the newly created virtual machine.
- Select ‘Edit Virtual Machine Setting’. On the hardware tab, click on ‘Hard Disk (SATA) 40 GB’ and hit Remove button.
- Right next to the Remove button, click on the Add button. And for the disk type, select SATA, click next and then select ‘Use an existing virtual disk’.
- After it’s created, click on the new hard disk and then click on the Disk file field where your should browser and select the macOS Sierra image file downloaded from the above link and extracted in step 2.
- You can choose between 2.5GB to 4GB RAM depending on the capacity on your device.
Step 7 – Now, edit the VMX file using the steps below:
- Go to the folder where you extracted the macOS Sierra image file. Right click on the VMX file, select Open with and then Notepad from the context menu.
- On the notepad, scroll down to the bottom and on a new line, copy and paste this code:
smc.version = "0"
Step 8 – Now you can run macOS Sierra using VMware software:
- Launch the macOS Sierra virtual machine.
- Log in and at the top menu bar of the VMware window, select Player > Removable Devices > CD/DVD > Settings
- Click on CD/DVD. Make sure device status is set to ‘Connected’ and ‘Connected at power on’.
- Stay on the same window and under Connection, select ‘Use ISO image file’, and then browse and select ‘VMTool.iso’ from the files downloaded in step 1 above and hit OK button.
Step 9 – That’s all. You have successfully installed macOS Sierra 10.12 on Windows device using VMware tool.
You can now run macOS Sierra on a Windows powered device and run any program or app as if you are using a Macbook or iMac withing the virtually created environment of a virtual machine. You don’t need to own expensive Mac to enjoy macOS Sierra anymore. Enjoy!
For more help, get in touch via comments section below.
You might also like to see: