Xiaomi Mi6 is one of the best new Android smartphone on the market. It was released just recently by the Chinese mobile manufacturer Xiaomi. Thanks to the hard work of Android developers we already have a working TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Mi6, this means you can now also root Xiaomi Mi6 to gain unrestricted access to the main firmware for installing tweaks, MODs, custom firmware, kernels, apps, and other device customization tools.
The Mi6 smartphone sports a 5.15-inch full HD display. The device is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor with 6GB of RAM and Adreno 540 GPU. The device is available in 64GB and 128GB storage options. A 12MP back-end and an 8MP front-facing shooter what you would expect from a top modern smartphone. The Xiaomi Mi6 comes with Android 7.1 Nougat with MIUI 8.0 on top of it. A 3305mAh battery and USB type-C connector round of rest of the main specs.
It’s only been a few weeks since the device’s launch and we already have seen it rooted and a TWRP recovery released for the Mi6. Rooting your Xiaomi Mi6 device has many advantages: After rooting the device you can use ad blocker app to block ads in free apps. You can use Titanium Backup to restore deleted apps and data. Rooting also allows you to install custom ROMs and Kernels to make the device run faster and smoother. It also prolongs battery life by automatically closing unused apps in the background. See the method below to install TWRP recovery and root Xiaomi Mi6.
Disclaimer: Flashing custom recovery, custom ROM and rooting the device manually are highly custom processes and carry significant risk of damaging or bricking the device if not followed exactly as mentioned. We will not be responsible for any damage to your device however low the chances of bricking the device maybe. Follow instructions carefully to prevent issues later.
- Make Sure the device has minimum 80% charge to avoid sudden device shutdown during the rooting process.
- Installing TWRP recovery will void device warranty, so you won’t be able to have free Samsung device replacement or hardware fix for free or claim the warranty.
- Enable USB Debugging mode and OEM Unlocking on your device: Settings > About device > tap build number seven times to enable developer option. Next, go to Settings > Developer Option > Enable USB Debugging.
- Backup all device data beforehand as rooting will wipe out existing device data. You can restore backup after rooting the device.
- This guide works on only Xiaomi Mi6. DO NOT try this on any other device.
- Download Xiaomi Mi6 USB drivers and install on computer.
- Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers and install on computer.
- Download SuperSU.zip file and copy it to device’s internal or external storage.
- Download TWRP recovery.img file for Xiaomi Mi6.
How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi6 Android Phone
1 – Download TWRP recovery from the link above. Make sure to rename the downloaded file to ‘recovery.img’ for easy reference later in the process.
2 – Copy the recovery.img file to the Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder on computer. Mostly this folder is inside the program files in your Windows PC.
3 – Connect your device to computer using USB cable.
4 – Launch Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe from the minimal ADB and Fastboot folder.
5 – In the command window, enter the following commands one by one and hit enter after each:
- fastboot reboot-bootloader (to reboot your device in the bootloader/fastboot mode)
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (to flash the recovery file on your phone)
- fastboot reboot recovery (or press the Volume UP + Down + Power keys to enter TWRP mode)
Steps to Root Xiaomi Mi6
1 – Download SuperSu.zip from the link above and move it to your device’s internal storage.
2 – Boot your device into TWRP recovery by pressing and holding the Volume + Power buttons at the same time.
3 – In TWRP recovery, tap Install and locate the SuperSU.zip file, select and flash it.
4 – Once supersu.zip is installed, reboot your phone.
5 – After reboot, install SuperSU with root permissions.
6 – When your device reboots, find the SuperSU in the app drawer.
7 – To verify the root status, install root checker app on your device and use to check if root has been successful.
8 – That’s it.
You can now use rooted Xiaomi Mi6 with unrestricted access to download and use Android customization apps, tools, mods and hacks.